Kritzerland at Sterling’s Upstairs at The Federal presents "The Songs of Marvin Hamlisch, A Tribute to the Man and His Music" on Sunday, October 7, 2012, at 7:00 pm, with music director Tom Griep.
The evening will star:
- Kevin Bailey (Broadway: Annie Get Your Gun; The Lion King; NoHo Arts Center: Dorian, The Ghost & Mrs. Muir)
- Juliana Hansen (Millie, Thoroughly Modern Millie, first national tour; Disney in Concert performances)
- Euan Morton (Tony/Olivier nominee, Boy George in Taboo; Obie Award, Public Theatre, Measure for Pleasure)
- Joanne O’Brien (Cabaret and voice-over artist extraordinaire; Catalina Bar & Grill; cross-country concerts)
- Angel Reda (Bway: Chicago; LA: Elphaba in Wicked; Follies; World Premiere: Hugh Jackman in Performance)
- Jeffrey Christopher Todd (Bat Boy; South Coast’s Lucky Duck, Emperor’s New Clothes; MTG’s Titanic, The Musical) *JUST ADDED!
With Special Guests:
- Kay Cole Jason Graae Kay Cole (Broadway: Original Maggie in A Chorus Line; National Tour: Les Miserables; Off-Broadway: Snoopy!)
- Jason Graae (Broadway: Falsettos, Stardust, A Grand Night for Singing; Shubert, LA: Houdini in Ragtime)
The 26th Kritzerland show is a tribute to the brilliant Marvin Hamlisch, who sadly passed away recently. Mr. Hamlisch had been making beautiful music since the early 1960s when, as a teen, he had a song recorded by Liza Minelli on her first album and then just a few years later a smash hit with “Sunshine, Lollipops, and Roses” sung by Lesley Gore. After that, there was no stopping him – film scores, Broadway shows, the Academy Award, the EMMY, the Tony, and the Pulitzer Prize. He seemed to not have the ability to not write a memorable tune — and what tunes they were.
As always, the cast will be doing a mix of the known and not so well known, from his early pop hits to his classics, to songs from his unsuccessful shows such as Jean Seberg, Smile, and Sweet Smell of Success. You’ll hear great songs from A Chorus Line, They’re Playing Our Song, as well as songs from his many film scores, including “The Way We Were,” “Through the Eyes of Love” (from Ice Castles), and more. Kritzerland has assembled a truly wondrous cast, along with two great guest stars, Kay Cole and Jason Graae. It will be an evening filled with warmth, humor and the memorable music of Marvin Hamlisch.
The last few shows have been jam-packed. Kritzerland recommends early reservations. Call 818 754-8700 to book. Your phone reservation will be confirmed. Dinner reservations: From 5:30 pm – 6:00 pm. Cover charge $15 + $10 food minimum + $3 service charge. You can eat dinner and see the show for only $28!
Sterling’s at The Federal is located at 5303 Lankershim Blvd., North Hollywood, Calif. The Federal Bar is adjacent to the El Portal Theatre. The North Hollywood Stations for the Metrolink Red Line and Orange Line are directly across the street, north of Chandler on Lankershim. Parking is available – entrance for Federal lot is on Weddington Street (directly behind the building) at $3.50. There is also available street parking.
For more information about Sterling’s Upstairs at The Federal, click HERE.